Saturday, July 19, 2008

Adventurous Exam Day….

Now this is my first attempt at blogging .. hope its easy read....


Ok.. now this is about a real life incidence.. no filmy story…one of the most important days of my life.. my GMAT exam.. Living in Baroda (a small city in India) I had to go to Ahmedabad, (2 hours drive)…. Everything was going all as planned.. I left early reached the exam centre 1 hour in advance and went to the exam room just 30 mins before around 10 A.M…. little did I know what was coming my way….

As I enter the centre… I show my exam card and then my ID (PAN Card)..and she comes back…. Sir your passport.. I m like this ID is acceptable right? GMAT website said any government ID… then I heard the most annoying “NO” of my life….. she got the GMAT Manual.. and a fine print (like the smallest font it can get… like those “conditions apply” ones..) said Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis must show Passport as the Photo ID. The feeling was much worse than how u feel when u get ripped by one of those fine prints on the product offers..

Forget being nervous about the exam, I started thinking about the solutions for this mess now. Being 2 hours away from my house there was no way I could get the passport in time…. with my techie brain.. I started giving her options.. XEROX copy of the passport? Again NO… scanned copy of the original passport.. that was a new one for her … so she called the head office in Delhi and got a NO again… soo now I thought I had lost it totally.. and would have to re-schedule the exam (which means losing on $80 USD)……

Then from somewhere, like Krishna Bhagwan in Mahabharata.. a professor from the college came to my rescue.. he gave me an extension of 2:30 and allowed me to start the exam at 1:00PM. Some ray of hope… I called up my friend in Baroda and told him abt the mess… the only way now I could get the passport in time was if he would come to the exam centre with the passport…. Which would mean him having to skip office work…problems problems… I got some nice hearing (including all the nice sweet swear words).. from my friend…

Now I must say, he was one “JUGADU” (someone who can get work done). What he did was the riskiest but most effective solution…….

Can u think of anything……………

…………………………….

He went to the bus station in baroda and straightway went to the bus driver of the next bus for Ahmedabad… he gave my passport to the driver and called me to get me talk to him.. the bus was supposed to reach Ahmedabad by 12:30.. just in time for me… there was no other way out…. So he had to give my passport to a total stranger..

The bus started from Baroda, I ran to the bus station in Ahmedabad.. Eagerly waiting for the bus….. … Finally the bus reached.. I got hold of the bus driver… and thank god…. I got the passport…. (Time 12:30) I have to be at the centre by 12:45… I rush in a rickshaw….. literally running to the centre… and as soon as I enter the room… the girl is like smiling at me asking….. “DID U GET THE PASSPORT?” and ………..

Finally I had the smile of relief…… to say “YES”…..

Cheers

All this mess… and now an exam for 4 hours……..an exam which was soo expensive that I could not afford to give it the next time if I failed…. Thank God… I scored decent… infact the best score out of all the mock tests I had given…..

So the end of it all gr8… but the day was one of the most adventurous...

Do you guys have any such adventurous exam day stories………….

Hope this wasn’t too long to read….

6 comments:

Shesha Chaturvedi said...

OMG, that must have been a horrifying experience for you.. and your friend is a realtime risktaker with a great presence mind ofcourse!!
An interesting story to start a blog with.. it actually made me read each and every line to fill up my curiosity for "whats next".

Shesha Chaturvedi said...

And one more thing.. writers should never worry about the length of an article as long as they are able to put all the interesting incidents they can(to bind the reader n make him enjoy it..)
As the reader, while reading, should feel as if this all is happening before his/her eyes..
it was not at all lengthy!!
So keep blogging!! it was great exp u shared here!! :)

aditi said...

i think this was hilarious!!
i mean what an adventure.. really bhai u've got a knack 4 writin.. waitin eagerly 4 more such anecdotes..;)

Rahul Choube said...

Thanks to both of you for your inputs. Shesha you are right, its the way it is written and not the length of the blog that matters... i m glad both of u liked the post.. will try n write some interesting stuff..

Cheers

Sandeep Kathe said...

Hey Rahul,
you have got one more interesting story to post.
The story of the day before the DSF paper when u and pokya went to supriya's house to get the book and then tore apart the book to share it :-)

Vikram said...

morale of the story --
1 apply n get d passport b4 preparing for exam
2 rahul is tragedy king
3 bus drivers are good human being
4 dont trust friends too much they may give ur important things to any strangers ;-)

keep writing .. remember college days , i guess u might get a lot to write like this ;-)